I’m a self-trained fine-arts photographer whose interest was sparked by a childhood birthday present. Later, while living in Iceland as a member of the U.S. Navy, I learned how to develop BW and color film. I’ve had a camera hanging off my shoulder ever since.
My life has taken me to many locations: Europe, Asia, Canada. California, Oregon, the Southwest Deserts, New England, Alaska, and Michigan where it all began. I have been blessed by friends and mentors on my journey who helped me understand both the art and the science of photography. Their guidance and encouragement resulted in my photographs appearing in numerous books, newspaper and magazines, print and web product catalogs, and illustrating complex technical documents. However, even more satisfying is the growing number of my fine art photographs gracing the walls of homes and offices.
My subjects are whatever catches my attention and stirs my emotions. Whether I’m shooting a Cherry Blossom Festival in Japan, a crumbling wall in Old Panama City, the rugged Alaska wilderness, waves smashing against a shoreline, the sun setting over Lake Michigan, or a delicate Southwest desert flower full of morning dew...it is nature, society and life that creates the art. I’m just lucky to be around to capture and bring it to you.
(Al Geist has a BA in Journalism from the University of Alaska Fairbanks (Minor in Computer Science). He has worked as a reporter (print and broadcast), freelance writer, magazine publisher, video producer/scriptwriter, web developer, technical writer/editor.
Prints, framed prints, and canvases available through this website.
PREVIOUS SHOWS AND MORE
- "Heart of Love," (2020) Ludington Area Center for the Arts, Ludington, MI
- "Out of the Freezer and Into the Fire" a show contrasting shooting in the heart of Alaska to the Southwest Deserts, July 15 through July 19, Golden Key Art Gallery, Ludington, MI.
- "Botanicals," an invitational exhibit, July 1-August 30, 2014, Ludington Area Center for the Arts, Ludington, MI
- “My Michigan” Juried Show, August/October 2013, Charlevoix Photography Club, Charlevoix Circle of Arts, Charlevoix, MI
- “All Things Green” Juried Show, June/August 2013, Ludington Center for the Arts, Ludington, MI
- 2013 Calendar, Lighthouse Realty, Ludington, MI
- “Michigan’s Seasons” Juried Show, Sept./Oct. 2012, Charlevoix Photography Club, Charlevoix Circle of Arts, Charlevoix, MI
- “Into the Woods: An exhibition of local woodcrafters and wood inspired art,” October-November 2011, Ludington Center for the Arts, Ludington, MI
- August 2010, 21st Annual Vermont Photography Exhibit at The Round Barn (Juried), Green Mountain Cultural Center, Waitsfield, VT
- March 2010, (Exhibiting) Members Show, Vermont Center for Photography, Brattleboro, VT
- Sept-Oct 2009, “Through the Lens” Juried Show, Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Vergennes, VT
- Feb 2009 (Exhibiting) Members Show, Vt Center for Photography, Brattleboro, VT
- “Gates and Passages” Juried Show (2008), Studio Place Gallery, Barre, VT
- 78th Annual Northern Vermont Juried Show at Bryan Gallery, Jeffersonville, VT
- 2007 Northern Vermont Art Show, Arts Alive Gallery, Union Station, Burlington, V
- 2007 Champlain Valley Fair Art Show – Main Street Division (Award Winner)
- Feb 2007, Featured Artist, Big Picture Framing, Burlington, VT
BA Journalism -1986 (Computer Science minor), University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2003 Goldie, AK Broadcasters Assoc., for "If We Dance, Story of the Midnight Sun Intertribal Powwow" (Field Producer), KUAC Television (PBS)
- Chuck Keim Award for Excellence in Magazine Journalism (Alaska Today, UAF-School of Journalism)
- Ludington Area Center for the Art
- Owner Geist Arts, Ludington, MI
- Instructor (Business and Community Education program), West Shore Community College, Scottville, MI
- Technical Writer, Media1, Grand Haven, MI (Contracting to Hewlett Packard)
- Technical Publications Manager, SUSS MicroTec, Waterbury Center, VT
- Technical Writer/Help Consultant/Wiki Developer, Efficiency Vermont (VEIC) Burlington, VT
- Technical Writer/Editor, IBM, Burlington, VT
- Media Producer/Product Photographer/Webmaster/Technical Writer, Lectrosonics, Inc., Rio Rancho, NM
- Technical Writer/Editor, IBM, Tucson, AZ
- Technical Writer/Online Help Developer, BLM-Alaska. Anchorage, AK
- Business Reporter/General Assignment Reporter/Photojournalist, various Alaskan newspapers and television stations
- Managing Editor of Fairbanks ARTS (for Fairbanks Arts Association, Fairbanks, AK)
- Video Field Producer, Alaska Video Productions (Arctic Man Ski and Sno Go Classic and the 1000 Mile Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race)
- Co-founder - MUSHING magazine (Ester, AK)